Monday, December 19, 2011

Wonder

I thank you God for this most amazing day, for the leaping greenly spirits of trees, and for the blue dream of sky and for everything which is natural, which is infinite, which is yes. 
--e.e. cummings

Christmas this year is unlike any I've ever celebrated before.  In the process of this journey, the depth and breadth of my experience has transformed my perspective in both the small moments and significant ones.

Although there is much that I wrestle with on many levels, I recognize with a great deal of clarity that trials bring an understanding of what is most important in a life.

From this, I now see that despite my desire in the past to demonstrate how much I cared through words, gestures and tokens, the essence of the gifts is what has the biggest impact.

It's not that I leave the language of gifts behind; rather the pursuit of gifting through words, gestures and tokens is still something that that I think is even more significant to me now as I see how much it can make a difference.  However, I have come to the recognition that the catalyst and the meaning behind the gift is more essential than I had ever realized.

In this vein - and to parallel the three gifts brought to the king - I'd like to give to you the three gifts of Peace, Love and Joy this Christmas.  All I ask is that you consider the catalyst, ponder the meaning and embrace the perspective - even for a moment in the midst of the Christmas celebrations.

Peace: Listening to the song Better Days, forgive.

Love: Read 1 Corinthians 13... you've surely heard it before; reflect on unconditional love... and then find innumerable ways to embrace and extend it.

Joy: After walking through these photos of the Thickwood trail from a December afternoon, seek the wonder that is found on your path... on your journey.




























People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. 
Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child -- our own two eyes. 
All is a miracle.
--Thich Nhat Hanh

Love. Peace. Joy.
Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Judith!!!!

    This is wonderful and the pictures amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It!