Saturday, May 5, 2012

Seven Years

"The absolute simplicity. That's what I love. When you're climbing your mind is clear and free from all confusions. You have focus. And suddenly the light becomes sharper, the sounds are richer and you're filled with the deep, powerful presence of life." ~ Seven Years in Tibet


Way back in 1997 (when I had time for such things as movies that were not made by Pixar), I watched a film called Seven Years in Tibet.  One of the most important elements of the movie is not the plot per se but rather how much the main character is transformed by his experience and his relationships in Tibet.


On May 1st, exactly seven years after landing in Fort McMurray with a six-month-old Nate in arms, we finally heard from the relocation agent.  Despite the delays, it appears that the process of moving has begun.  I am still grappling with leaving this community and these families that I love so much.  And in all of the unknowns, I am taking every moment to celebrate the blessings of having had these seven years here, of the beautiful friends who surround me, of the progressing good health that seems to be returning to me - all gifts of immeasurable value.


***


My health is not yet where it once was yet it is amazing how quickly I have become complacent about the very breaths that once seemed so agonizing to find.  Somewhere in the midst of the getting sick - getting treatment - seeking out medical advice - beginning new medications and progressively getting better, I've almost taken things for granted.  Almost.  I doubt that I will ever take the gift of life without great thankfulness ever again for I know that our days and our hours measured out.  And yet when I consider all of these deep and meaningful things, I cannot help but also notice how joyfully my boys contentedly play in our backyard without weighing out such matters of significance.




The perspective and understanding of a child is a beautiful thing.  

I cannot help but feel blessed as I get to experience the world through the eyes of four amazing little men.  Particularly when life seems to be woven with threads of hard times, challenges, and sorrows, the way my boys perceive the world with such joy is a point of healing for me.   There is much to be said about the faith of a child.  There is much to be said about how precious life is.  



From the beginnings of spring to the laughter of a toddler, hope can be found in the most unexpected - and marvelous - places.  




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It!